South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
Ph.D., 2002, University College of North Wales, Bangor, UK
Ecology of oyster reef-associated finfish and invertebrate assemblages
- Population assessments of bivalve and crustacean shellfish species for sustainable management and directed restoration efforts
- Research in support of improvements to South Carolina shellfish aquaculture
Background in molluscan ecology, invasive species biology, invertebrate zoology, optimal foraging theory, predator-prey community dynamics and larval ecology
- Research Experiences for Endergraduates (REU) program lead for the Minorities in Marine and Environmental Sciences (MIMES) Program - http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/minority/ - funded by the National Science Foundation
- regional level reporting of marine and estuarine invasive species
evaluation of alternative restoration materials and novel structures to enhance the ecological services and fisheries value provided by oyster reef habitat
investigation of the importance of structural complexity in coastal marine and estuarine habitats in determining associated finfish and invertebrate assemblages
industry collaborations to improve in-state aquaculture by evaluating new species and techniques, such as the application of triploid technology in native Eastern oysters
state-wide assessment of the distribution and status of oyster reefs using remote sensing, ground-truthing, low altitude helicopter photography and GIS applications
- Stone, B.W., Hadley, N.H. & Kingsley-Smith, P. R. (2013). Evaluating the potential growth advantage of triploid Eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica) in South Carolina, USA relative to commercially cultured diploid native stocks. Journal of Shellfish Research 32(3):647-655.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Joyce, R.E., Arnott, S.A., Roumillat, W.A., McDonough, C.J. & Reichert, M.J.M. (2012). Habitat use of intertidal Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) reefs by nekton in South Carolina estuaries. J. Shellfish Res. 31(4):1009-1021.
- Barnes, B.B., Luckenbach, M.W. & Kingsley-Smith, P.R. (2010). Oyster reef community interactions: The effect of resident fauna on oyster (Crassostrea spp.) larval recruitment. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 391:169-177.
- Harwell, H.D., Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Kellogg, M.L., Allen, S.M., Allen, S.K. Jr., Meritt, D.W., Paynter, K.T. Jr & Luckenbach, M.W. (2010). Reef-associated fauna in Chesapeake Bay: Does oyster species affect habitat function? J. Shellfish Res.29:253-269.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Harwell, H.D, Kellogg, M.L., Allen, S.M., Allen, S.K. Jr. Meritt, D.W., Paynter, K.T. Jr. & Luckenbach, M.W. (2009). Survival and growth of triploid Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin, 1791) and C. ariakensis (Fujita, 1913) in bottom environments of Chesapeake Bay: Implications for an introduction. J. Shellfish Res. 28:169-184.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R. & Luckenbach, M.W. (2008). Post-settlement survival and growth of the Suminoe oyster, Crassostrea ariakensis, exposed to simulated emersion regimes. Journal of Shellfish Research 27:609-618.
- Harding, J., Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Mann, R. & Savini, D. (2007). Comparison of predation signatures left by Atlantic oyster drills (Urosalpinx cinerea Say; Muricidae) and veined rapa whelks (Rapana venosa Valenciennes; Muricidae) in bivalve prey. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 352:1-11.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Richardson, C.A. & Seed, R. (2005). Growth and development of the veliger larvae and juveniles of Polinices pulchellus (Gastropoda: Naticidae). J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK. 85:171-174.
- Richardson, C.A., Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Seed, R. & Chatzinikolaou, E. (2005). Age and growth of the naticid gastropod Polinices pulchellus (Gastropoda: Naticidae) based on length frequency analysis and statolith growth rings. Marine Biology 148:319-326.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Richardson, C.A. & Seed, R. (2003a). Stereotypic and size-selective predation by Polinices pulchellus (Gastropoda: Naticidae) Risso 1826. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 295:173-190.
- Kingsley-Smith, P.R., Richards, C.A. & Seed, R. (2003b). Size-related and seasonal patterns of egg collar production by Polinices pulchellus (Gastropoda: Naticidae) Risso 1826. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 295:191-206.