Florida Atlantic University
Ph.D.,1987, University of Maryland, College Park
- Marine ecology
- Benthic ecology
- Shellfish biology
Current and Planned Research Projects
- oyster reef ecology, restoration, functioning and associated ecosystem services
- remote sensing of intertidal habitats
- real-time water quality monitoring
- benthic ecology, plant-animal interactions, landscape ecology, living shorelines
- Coen, L.D. and R. Grizzle, 2014. Bivalve Species: Oysters, Clams and Related Ecology, Mapping and Related Restoration. In: M. Kennish, Ed., Encyclopedia of Estuaries, Springer.
- Garcia, R.N., K.W. Chung, P.B. Key, L. Burnett, L.D. Coen, and M.E. DeLorenzo, 2014. Toxicity of mosquito control insecticides in larval and juvenile Eastern oysters and hard clams, and interactive effects of hypoxia and elevated CO2. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology.
- Coen, L.D., 2014. Biorock™, and other restoration approaches. A review of: Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration, Edited by Thomas Goreau and Robert Trench. Ecology 95(3):790-791.
- Baggett, L.P., S.P. Powers, R. Brumbaugh, L.D. Coen, B. DeAngelis, J. Green, B. Hancock, and S. Morlock, 2013. A handbook for monitoring guidelines and criteria for judging the performance of oyster restoration projects. TNC Report, Arlington, VA, 96pp.
- Grizzle, R.E., and L.D. Coen, 2013. Slow-down and reach out (and we’ll be there): a response to “shellfish as living infrastructure” by Kate Orff. Ecological Restoration 31:325-329.
- Martin, N., L. Coen, A.J. Martignette, E. Milbrandt, J. Siwicke, and M. Thompson, 2013. Effectiveness of anti-fouling coatings in Southwest Florida’s estuarine and marine waters, with emphasis on real-time observing systems. Florida Sci. 76:259-274.
- Milbrandt, E.C., R.D. Bartleson, L.D. Coen, A. Rybak, M.A. Thompson, J. DeAngelo, and P. Stevens, 2012. Local and regional effects of reopening a tidal inlet on estuarine water quality, seagrass habitat, and fish assemblages. Continental Shelf Research 41:1–16.
- Ermgassen, P.S.E. zu, M.D. Spalding, P. Banks, B. Blake, L. Coen, B. Dumbauld, S. Geiger, J.H. Grabowski, R. Grizzle, M. Luckenbach, K. McGraw, B. Rodney, J. Ruesink, S. Powers, and R. Brumbaugh, 2012. Historical ecology with real numbers: Past and present extent and biomass of an imperilled estuarine ecosystem. Proc. Royal Acad. Lond., B. 279 (1742):3393-3400.
- Coen, L.D., B.R Dumbauld, and M.L. Judge, 2011. Expanding shellfish aquaculture: a review of the ecological services provided by and impacts of native and cultured bivalves in shellfish-dominated ecosystems. In: Shellfish aquaculture and the environment, S.E. Shumway, Ed., Wiley-Blackwell
- Beck, M.W., R.D. Brumbaugh, L. Airoldi, A. Carranza, L.D. Coen, C. Crawford, O. Defeo, G.J. Edgar, B. Hancock., M.C. Kay, H.S. Lenihan, M.W. Luckenbach, C.L. Toropova, G. Zhang, and X. Guo, 2011. Oyster reefs at risk and recommendations for conservation, restoration and management. BioScience 61:107–116.
- Hadley, N.H., M. Hodges, D.H. Wilber, and L.D. Coen, 2010. Evaluating intertidal oyster reef development in South Carolina using associated faunal indicators. Restoration Ecology 18:691-701.
- Beck, M.W., R.D. Brumbaugh, L. Airoldi, A. Carranza, L.D. Coen, C. Crawford, O. Defeo, G.J. Edgar, B. Hancock, M. Kay, H. Lenihan, M.W. Luckenbach, C.L. Toropova, and G. Zhang, 2009. Shellfish reefs at risk: a global analysis of problems and solutions, The Nature Conservancy, 52pp.
- Brumbaugh, R.D. and L.D. Coen, 2009. Contemporary approaches for small-scale oyster reef restoration to address substrate versus recruitment limitation: a review and comments relevant for the Olympia oyster, Ostrea lurida (Carpenter, 1864). J. Shellfish Res. 28:147-161.
- Coen, L.D., R.D. Brumbaugh, D. Bushek, R. Grizzle, M.W. Luckenbach, M.H. Posey, S.P. Powers, and G. Tolley, 2007. AS WE SEE IT. A broader view of ecosystem services related to oyster restoration. Mar Ecol. Prog. Ser. 341:303–307.