Florida Atlantic University
Ph.D.,1987, University of Maryland, College Park
- Marine ecology
- Benthic ecology
- Shellfish biology
Current and Planned Research Projects
- oyster reef ecology, restoration, functioning and associated ecosystem services
- remote sensing of intertidal habitats
- real-time water quality monitoring
- benthic ecology, plant-animal interactions, landscape ecology, living shorelines
- National Research Council (NRC), 2016. Title to be decided. Committee on effective approaches for monitoring and assessing Gulf of Mexico restoration activities.
- Coen, L.D. and A. Humphries, 2016. Oyster-generated marine habitats: their services, enhancement, restoration, and monitoring. In: S. Murphy, and S. Allison, Eds., Routledge Handbook of Ecological and Environmental Restoration. Taylor & Francis Group, Routledge, Cambridge, U.K.
- Coen, L.D., and R.E. Grizzle, 2016. Bivalve Molluscs. Pp. 89-109. In: M.J. Kennish, Ed. Encyclopedia of Estuaries. Springer, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, New York, London.
- Coen, L.D., and M.J. Bishop, 2015. The ecology, evolution, impacts and management of host–parasite interactions of marine molluscs Review Article, N. Carrasco, S. Ford, and R. Anderson, Eds., Pathogens and Disease Processes in Marine Molluscs. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 131:177–211.
- Baggett, L.P., S.P. Powers, R.D. Brumbaugh, L.D Coen, B. DeAngelis, J. Greene, B. Hancock, S. Morlock, B. Allen, D. Breitburg, D. Bushek, J.H. Grabowski, R. Grizzle, T. Grosholz, M. La Peyre, M. Luckenbach, K. McGraw, M.F. Piehler, S. Westby, and P.S.E. zu Ermgassen, 2015. Setting guidelines for evaluating performance of oyster habitat restoration. Restoration Ecology 23:737–745.
- Garcia, R.N., K.W. Chung, P.B. Key, L. Burnett, L.D. Coen, and M.E. DeLorenzo, 2014. Toxicity of mosquito control insecticides in larval and juvenile Eastern oysters and hard clams, and interactive effects of hypoxia and elevated CO2. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 66:450–462.
- Baggett, L.P., S.P. Powers, R. Brumbaugh, L.D. Coen, B. DeAngelis, J. Green, B. Hancock, and S. Morlock, 2014. A handbook for monitoring guidelines and criteria for judging the performance of oyster restoration projects. TNC Report, Arlington, VA, 96pp.
- Grizzle, R.E., and L.D. Coen, 2013. Slow-down and reach out (and we’ll be there): a response to “shellfish as living infrastructure” by Kate Orff. Ecological Restoration 31:325-329.
- zu Ermgassen, P.S.E. zu, M.D. Spalding, P. Banks, B. Blake, L.D. Coen, B. Dumbauld, S. Geiger, J.H. Grabowski, R. Grizzle, M. Luckenbach, K. McGraw, B. Rodney, J. Ruesink, S. Powers, and R. Brumbaugh, 2012. Historical ecology with real numbers: Past and present extent and biomass of an imperilled estuarine ecosystem. Proc. Royal Acad. Lond., B. 279 (1742):3393-3400.
- Milbrandt, E.C., R.D. Bartleson, L.D. Coen, A. Rybak, M.A. Thompson, J. DeAngelo, and P. Stevens, 2012. Local and regional effects of reopening a tidal inlet on estuarine water quality, seagrass habitat, and fish assemblages. Continental Shelf Research 41:1–16.
- Coen, L.D., B.R Dumbauld, and M.L. Judge, 2011. Expanding shellfish aquaculture: a review of the ecological services provided by and impacts of native and cultured bivalves in shellfish-dominated ecosystems. Ch. 9, 239-295, in: Shellfish aquaculture and the environment, S.E. Shumway, Ed., Wiley-Blackwell.
- Beck, M.W., R.D. Brumbaugh, L. Airoldi, A. Carranza, L.D. Coen, C. Crawford, O. Defeo, G.J. Edgar, B. Hancock., M.C. Kay, H.S. Lenihan, M.W. Luckenbach, C.L. Toropova, G. Zhang, and X. Guo, 2011. Oyster reefs at risk and recommendations for conservation, restoration and management. BioScience 61:107–116.